Like any other job that involves dealing with the complex process of laws, the obligation of a probate attorney, Carlsbad, isn’t easy. A single action taken can spell the difference between success and failure. Thus, the one you are working with must have a reputation of competence and excellence.
But why hire a probate attorney, Carlsbad, in the first place? Also called an estate or trust attorney, a probate lawyer helps executors of the estate manage the probate process. In general, the functions depend on whether or not the decedent has drafted a will before death.
If the deceased left a will, a probate attorney provides wisdom to parties, such as the executor of the estate or the beneficiary, on various legal matters. For instance, a probate attorney can help ensure that the will was not signed or written under duress (signing against the best interests of the person.) Elderly persons with dementia are considered the most vulnerable to undue influence by people who want a share of the estate.
If there is no will, a probate attorney can still provide services of great value to you. For example, he can assist the administrator so the assets land on the rightful beneficiaries according to state law.
While advising an executor/administrator, a probate attorney may perform other tasks, including the following:
- Collecting and managing life insurance proceeds
- Working for the appraisal of decedent’s property
- Finding and securing all of the decedent’s assets
- Advising on how to pay the decedent’s bills and settle debts
- Preparing/filing documents as required by a probate court
- Managing the estate’s checkbook
- Determining whether or not there are estate taxes owed
Given the magnitude of the tasks that an attorney may perform for a probate process, it makes sense to hire only one that is reputable and offers a service of top-notch quality. Consider the following as part of your list of criteria when choosing one to work with for your case.
- The feedback/reviews from the community
- The number of probate cases handled in the past
- The length of time in the legal profession – this reflects the expertise
- And, of course, the charges involved
Online looking for a reputable probate attorney, Carlsbad? Contact us today at (858) 558-1191